Creative Lab Hawaii
CONNECT. COLLABORATE. CREATE.
What is Creative Lab Hawaii?
Creative Lab Hawaii (CLH) is a State of Hawaii program composed of three separate modules: Immersive Programs, Ideation Workshops, and Public Programs. Their intention is to accelerate global export of Hawaii’s creative content and creative products to strengthen our creative entrepreneurs’ capacity for success. Founded in 2012 by the State of Hawaii’s Creative Industries Division, Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism (DBEDT), Creative Lab Hawaii provides a rich environment for creative collaboration and building new business relationships with a global audience. CLH offers public panels, workshops, and hands on coaching and mentoring by industry leaders in areas of Indigenous Storytelling, Playwriting, Screenwriting, Producing, Directing, Songwriting/Music, the Business of Acting, and previously held programs for Game Design and Design/Fashion.
The CID/State of Hawaii, CLH includes strategic partnerships with Writers Guild of America, West (WGAw), Producers Guild of America (PGA), Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (SAG-AFTRA), International Game Developers Association (IGDA), Film Offices of the Hawaiian Islands (FOHI), The Cut Collective, Secret Road, Hawaii Songwriting Festival and the High Technology Development Corporation (HTDC). And sponsors The Modern Honolulu Hotel and Arthur’s Limousine. Funding for CLH is provided by the Hawaii State Legislature, DBEDT and the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA), U.S. Department of Commerce.
The Creative Lab Hawaii Immersive Program
Immersive programs are offered to selected qualified applicants in six high growth clusters: Web Series, Producing, Directing, Screenwriting, Indigenous Storytelling and Acting.
Creative Lab offers enhanced sessions for up to 12 qualified participants per lab in the following tracks identified as high growth clusters for the state:
- Broadband/New Media Immersive: A track for those whose primary distribution outlet is the Internet. Individuals are coached in writing, producing, marketing, and monetization of their content for web and mobile platforms.
- Producing Immersive: A track focused on the opportunities and skills needed to navigate today’s multi-platform media landscape in film, television, mobile, and online media.
- Screenwriting Immersive: A track for writers in all genres to develop new content for motion pictures, television, and broadband (web series). Participants receive coaching on script writing and taking projects to market on multiple platforms.
- Interactive Media Immersive: A track for mobile and traditional game design, interactive storytelling and app development for creative entrepreneurs
- Music Immersive: A track focused on the development of new musical works for the theatre, stage or screen e.g., songwriters, librettists, musical theatre and new opera development. This program is currently being developed and has not yet been launched.
- Design/Fashion Immersive: A track where participants work with established professionals in the fashion industry from concept to fabrication. Together they work to overcome everyday challenges in manufacturing, printing, product placement, and so on.** NOTE: This component is being developed and supported in concert with the State of Hawaii DBEDT’s High Technology Development Corporation of Hawaii (HTDC).
- Playwriting: This track mentors playwrights in developing their skills to commercially export their creative content, transferring successful skills from the world of screen to the stage industry.
- Acting: Development of successful industry knowledge to help actors of stage, screen and voiceovers to be able to distinguish themselves as a business asset to productions, and to refine their skills into a marketable asset.
- Indigenous Storytelling: For indigenous/first nation storytellers who wish to communicate tales and stories from their heritage.
Creative Lab Hawaii Ideation Workshops:
Ideation workshops target entrepreneurs in early stage project development with the goal of building the pre-requisite requirements for Creative Lab Immersive programs or other relevant accelerators.
Creative Lab Hawaii Public Programs:
Creative Lab Hawaii public programs, a collaboration with various industry partners, offer free panels and workshops by industry professionals in the areas of screenwriting, broadband, new media, producing and music and design/fashion.
For more information, please go to our Creative Lab Hawaii Webpage.
STAY IN TOUCH:
For updates on Creative Lab Hawaii and upcoming application information, subscribe to our mailing list!
… and you can always keep up to date at Creative Lab Hawaii Facebook page!