Creative Lab Hawaii
CONNECT. COLLABORATE. CREATE.
What is Creative Lab Hawaii?
Creative Lab Hawaii is a State of Hawaii program composed of three separate modules: Immersive Programs, Ideation Workshops, and Public Programs. Their intention is to accelerate global export of Hawaii’s creative content and creative products to strengthen our creative entrepreneurs’ capacity for success. Founded in 2012 by the State of Hawaii’s Creative Industries Division, Department of Business, Economic Development, and Tourism (DBEDT), Creative Lab Hawaii provides a rich environment for creative collaboration and building new business relationships with a global audience. Industry partners include the Hawaii International Film Festival (HIFF); Writers Guild of America, West; Producers Guild of America; Hawaii Academy of Recording Arts; Screen Actors Guild/AFTRA; Honolulu Film Office; and the City and County of Honolulu. Creative Lab Hawaii offers public panels, workshops, and hands on coaching and mentoring by industry leaders in areas of Screenwriting, New Media, Broadband, Producing, Directing, Songwriting/Music, Technology, the Business of Acting, and Design/Fashion. Funding for CLH is provided by the Hawaii State Legislature, DBEDT and the U.S. Economic Development Administration (EDA), U.S. Department of Commerce. Sponsors include The Modern Honolulu; Writers Guild of America, West; Producers Guild of America; Arthurs Limousine; and SpeediShuttle.
The Creative Lab Hawaii Immersive Program
Immersive programs are offered to selected qualified applicants in six high growth clusters: Broadband/New Media; Producing; Screenwriting; Interactive Media; Music; and Design/Fashion.
Creative Lab 2014 – 2016 will offer enhanced sessions for up to 12 qualified participants per Lab in the following Tracks identified as high growth clusters for the state:
- Broadband/New Media Immersive: A track for those whose primary distribution outlet is the Internet. Individuals are coached in writing, producing, marketing, and monetization of their content for web and mobile platforms.
- Producing Immersive: A track focused on the opportunities and skills needed to navigate today’s multi-platform media landscape in film, television, mobile, and online media.
- Screenwriting Immersive: A track for writers in all genres to develop new content for motion pictures, television, and broadband (web series). Participants receive coaching on script writing and taking projects to market on multiple platforms.
- Interactive Media Immersive: A track for mobile and traditional game design, interactive storytelling and app development for creative entrepreneurs
- Music Immersive: A track focused on the development of new musical works for the theatre, stage or screen e.g., songwriters, librettists, musical theatre and new opera development. This program is currently being developed and has not yet been launched.
- Design/Fashion Immersive: A track where participants work with established professionals in the fashion industry from concept to fabrication. Together they work to overcome everyday challenges in manufacturing, printing, product placement, and so on.** NOTE: This component is being developed and supported in concert with the State of Hawaii DBEDT’s High Technology Development Corporation of Hawaii (HTDC).
Creative Lab Hawaii Ideation Workshops:
Ideation workshops target entrepreneurs in early stage project development with the goal of building the pre-requisite requirements for Creative Lab Immersive programs or other relevant accelerators.
Creative Lab Hawaii Public Keynotes:
Creative Lab public programs, a collaboration with various industry partners, offer free panels and workshops by industry professionals in the areas of screenwriting, broadband, new media, producing and music and design/fashion. Industry partners include the Writers Guild of America, Producers Guild of America, Hawaii Academy of Recording Arts, The Hawaii International Film Festival (HIFF) and Screen Actors Guild/AFTRA.
For more information, please go to our Creative Lab Hawaii Webpage.
STAY IN TOUCH:
… and you can always keep up to date at Creative Lab Hawaii Facebook page!